The Edit Blog Love Sponsor Thrift Image Map

2013-08-08

When Barbie Goes to Texas

prom1
(Photo from Squarespace photobooth)

I dressed as a Barbie this weekend for the TXSC Prom. I got into the hotel elevator and the only other occupant politely asked me if I was going out that night. No sir, me and my hot pink dress are staying in and watching Big Brother while eating ice cream floats. And then, because I left later than the rest of my home girls, I had to exit the elevator and walk the expansive lobby of our hotel in this crazy dress to catch a cab by myself. I would say it was a walk of shame but really, I'm kinda proud of this thrift find.
prom4
prom5
(Jen and Kendi. Photos from Bonlook photobooth)

I had another dress all lined up but I found this one at Value Village the week before and as I was in Texas to talk about thrift with Savers/Value Village, I figured it was a good fit. I hand washed the dress, and the rosettes took four days to dry! They took so long to dry because this Barbie dress is cotton... which seems odd but I guess crazier things have happened. I also ended up taking out the donut sized shoulder pads, I reckoned I had enough shoulder volume. I think the 80's and the early 90's didn't believe in those words, 'enough shoulder volume', but it's a real thing.
And prom was a blast!!! (all three exclamation marks needed). A whole bunch of great girls, a plethora of photo booths and good music make a solid recipe for a fun time. Amanda won best dancer, Jessie won best dressed (against me, her friend. How could you? ;)), Kendi won best blog and Merl won a giant PayPal prize that will help her so much when her bricks and mortar store opens in a month. Paige and Janette unofficially won best new friends. Fuzzy feelings all around.

prom10

Leading a thrift seminar was great too. I reserve a bit of side-eye for our rather clueless bus driver but I hope everyone who came out learned a little or maybe even a lot about the joy of thrifting. I learned that I talk with my hands and make ridiculous faces the entire time I talk. Jessie took about 14 pictures of me, and I only look normal in the one I posted on Instagram. Oh well. Thrifting makes me animated, I guess. Special thanks to Savers for not only having solid finds but also for sponsoring the event. Their rep (hey girl!) was amazing to work with and it's pretty fun to work on something that is 100% in your comfort zone. I got a message from a sweet lady friend who told me she took her rather sceptical mom to the same Savers we were at later in the week, and her mom was converted to thrifting. That's the stuff that warms the cockles of this heart...

If I could sum up my time in Texas, I would say that it was a little like living a year in a few days. In a good way... like you are cramming so much into such a little time because apparently we all live all over and we need a conference in order to have an excuse to see each other. So thank you to Indiana and her crew for all the hard work because this is the kick in the pants we needed to have girly sleep-overs. So many memorable moments and new friends of the internet...
prom3
I said on twitter that it was kinda hard to really put into words those few days in Texas. Honestly, it was just really good; the best yet. These aren't just girls with blogs. These are true friends, who happen to be girls with blogs...

11 comments :

Jennifer said...

I would have loved to hear your conference!

xo Jennifer

http://seekingstyleblog.wordpress.com

Unknown said...

You look much better then Barbie. She needs to learn from you!

Myrna said...

So bummed I didn't go. It really snuck up on me this year . Well I'll pounce on that next year. Great dress by the way.

XX-Myrna
Mybeatboutique.blogspot.com

Leah said...

You are quite possibly the only one who could pull off that dress! Looks great, and looks like you had way too much fun! Hope I can have the chance to meet all of these wonderful ladies some day.

Jessie said...

You've got guts, girl. Kudos for rocking the dress! The thrift event looks like it was a ton of fun.

Sydney said...

Love it! Seeing that many people out and ready to thrift is uhmayzing!

Kastles said...

Umm that dress is amazing! Such a perfect Barbie you are :)
Looks like it was so much fun! Wish I could have gone!
<3 Kastles

The Mrs. and The Momma said...

So good! I love that last picture of all y'all! And your Barbie handshake was the best...way to stay in character girl. ;)

SincerelyMissJ said...

Any thrift seminars here in Canada I would come!! Love thrifting, always looking to learn more

http://sincerelymissj.blogspot.ca/

Unknown said...

You look so adorable! That dress is fantastic! Wish I could have been at your thrifting seminar - sounds amazing!

xoxo,
Laura
http://lauraisthriftingthroughlife.blogspot.com/

abby said...

I Loved hearing your thrifting talk at the conference. I am not a pro at thrifting, but I used a lot of your tips and ended up winning the Saver's Best Treasure Hunter award at prom, haha. I will give it another go soon!
xx Abby | a geek tragedy