The Edit Blog Love Sponsor Thrift Image Map

2010-08-04

Made Over

falls1

Before: 6 PM

falls2

After: 10:30 PM
If these pictures would be an advertisement for anything, it would be about the power of a shower (yes, that rhymed).
It was my friend's (the one in the boa and in the centre on the bottom pic) bachelorette party last weekend. I guess my duties toward her as a friend trumped my duties toward her as her dressmaker (I hate that word...), so I was allowed out of the sweatshop for the night.
Because we are tricky kids, we pretended to the bride that the bachelorette was very low priority and we were just going to meet at my house and then go out to some local establishment. We acted like we really didn't care... but we did! Everyone was in on the secret and we got one of the supervisors to pull the bride aside and give her the whole 'you want to tell me what you did wrong?' speech while we snuck behind, tied a pink boa around her face (cheesy...yup) and threw her into the back of the car and whisked her off to Niagara Falls for the night. We had everything packed her (ok, we forgot shoes... )... If I'm going to be honest, us pulling this whole trick off had more to do with the bride being gullible than us being sneaky; I'm a terrible liar and we couldn't get our stories straight. Doesn't matter, all that is important is that we completely surprised her.
We all work to some capacity in the landscape industry, hence it was important to get the before and after shot. We clean up ok, huh? And my over packing paid off this time; 3 of my dresses and 4 of my belts made it out that night... I wore a vintage Alfred Sung dress that I bought from The Last Hurrah clothing sale. It had some full crinoline action going on and I've decided that every girl needs a crinoline on a bad day because it was so fun to wear. Put your cookies away ladies and grab a full skirt!
We got into trouble and generally just had a great time. It was the best night of the summer so far, though also the biggest headache the following morning... totally worth it.

23 comments :

Elena, Caffeinerd said...

SUCH a fun before & after! You all look fantastic. Sounds like a great bachelorette party :)

Lovers, Saints & Sailors said...

Yay! What a great story :) And you all look fantastic. Both before and after.

Olivia said...

Aww...what fun! Your dress rocks, but what I really want to know is how tall are you anyway? I always thought of you as normal human sized, but next to a group of not one, not two, not three, but 4 normal humans, you look like a giant! A stylish giant...

Katie from Interrobangs Anonymous said...

I spent a bachelorette party out on the Midway in Niagara once. We spent the whole evening taking turns pretending to be the bride, going up to nerdy 15 year olds and saying, "all I want is one last night of passion before the big day."

Alessandra said...

you all clean up very nicely!

Kristen said...

Awesome before and afters!!

And I love the rhyme- power of a shower!

Just updated my blog and added you to my blog roll! Yeah!

Emily Kennedy said...

Yay! I love the Before and After! I always think you're such a glamorous woman. It's so difficult for me to keep in my head what you do for a living! This is awesome!

Secondhand Stella said...

You all look amazing! Isn't it great to have pretty friends ;)

I love every outfit. Glad you had a fun time!!!!!

20 YORK STREET said...

It really awesome when friends do thoughtful things like that for each other!

And y'all look great!

Sheila said...

Aw, what a cool thing to do! I love seeing the before and after.

I have two vintage Alfred Sung pieces that I've found and I love them! Hurray for full skirts!

Melissa said...

That is SO awesome! What a great bunch of friends you are to have done that for her!

I really love the before and after pictures. This was a fun post!

Academic Writer (a.k.a. A-Dubs) said...

'Nice sneakery and awesome before and afters! Also, as one tall (less glamorous) woman to another tall (more glamorous) woman: you don't look like a giant next to your pipsqueak friends. You just look tall (and just as great as the others)!

rlutz said...

You guys must have had so much fun.
You all do clean up very good!

s said...

I love the line-up/before & after - and everyone looks fabulous- I might have to steal each look! ;)

Bravo- sounds like a wonderful bachelorette party!!

S. of academichic said...

Ahh, so fun, love the before and after shots! :)

I love Niagara on the Lake, is that were you went? Such a fun place for a Bachelorette party. S.

What Would a Nerd Wear said...

i love the before and after photos and you guys sound like AWESOME friends! sounds like a great weekend :)

Nadine said...

LOVE that first photo!and then the 'after' shot - awesome!

Sabina said...

Oh, you're such good friends :)) Amazing :))
What a pretty blog :)) I would really appreciate you visiting mine - I think (and hope! :)) you will really like it :)
Can't wait to hear from you, lovely!
xxx

E said...

I LOVE the before and after shots! I always mean to do something like that when my friends and I get together, but they always seem to disintegrate into debauchery that aren't suitable for sharing :-/

Keira Lennox said...

I love the before and after! You ladies clean up nicely ;) I'm going to try this crinoline therapy.

The Village Idiot said...

love the dress!!!

GS said...

ahha love it! you ladies clean up real nice!
what, no handcuffs, short prison guard and prisoner outfits?? haha kidding. i saw a lot of bachlorette parties like the that the last time i was in niagara falls. but if you got dressed like that later then that's cool too! i'm pretty fantastic at putting my foot in my mouth. it's a talent only a few can possess. aaaannnyway!
I love how everyone has their own distinct style. and apparently i need a job outside because you all have wicked tans.

Elaine said...

Hahahaha, that's AWESOME! You girls clean up nice :)

clothed much, a modest fashion blog