The Edit Blog Love Sponsor Thrift Image Map

2013-03-01

Thrift Find

I hit a rich vein of thrifting these past few weeks. I did the Value Village/Talize thrift crawl twice. Once for the 50% off days and once when I needed a vintage frame to hang a cat poster from my grandmother. Of course, I needed to start my hunt for a good picture frame by walking through the dress section. It's all part of the journey, right?
Of all my finds, including a pretty good 50% off day haul which I documented on Instagram (bucking my mediocre record on 50% days...), my best find was most definitely a made-in-France, Sonia Rykiel dress. There was a tag that labelled it as a special release for Milli's in Hamilton. Yay for local love.
But when I went to take pictures of the dress on the judy, it just didn't highlight how perfect it is. At first glance it looks like a classic 3/4 length black dress but it has these amazing details that just elevate it. It needs a body, not a judy to do it justice. No offence Judy. I've included a picture of the top, with its popping shoulder detail, but for its full reveal, ye shall have to wait for the first nice summer night where I make up a fancy occasion just to wear it out. I am hoping that will sucker you into reading my blog for a few more months...?

thrift1

Seriously, I would never have a chance at a mint condition Sonia Rykiel piece (an indication of their regular prices here), if it were not for the thrift store. This is why I thrift.

Up until I found the Sonia Rykiel, I was pretty happy with the $13 silk beaded dress I found earlier at Talize that day. I really do like it a lot but in my excitement for the other dress, it dropped to second place. It's good though, like I said; silk, great condition, fits perfectly and it's a Petite, so it's a little shorter... I'm open minded about my hem lengths (how progressive of me... I know), but I can be partial to a shorter number.

thrift2
thrift2
thrift5

What sold me on it? That scalloped hem. 

20 comments :

Unknown said...

WOW! The sneak peek is killing me! I want to every little detail on that dress. The beaded silk dress is also amazing.

Suzanne said...

Amazing scores!

bisous
Suzanne

katherine said...

ohhh love them! fellow thrifter. love your style!

KReeder said...

Love the dresses and really want to see the cat poster from your Grandmother!

Unknown said...

I was pretty proud of myself for the $5 Leather thrifted pants I posted about the other day...but I see you've one upped me once again..haha!

gleeps said...

Oh, you are a thrifting genius, Yen! Love the black fanciness you scored. Was the Sonia Rykiel dress "expensive", in thrift store terms?

Petite Adventures said...

Great dresses! Can't wait to see how you style them

Have a great weekend!
Kate xo petite-adventures.blogspot.ca

maria said...

Oooh, I love them both! I can't wait to see you waering the Sonia Rykiel!

-On a slightly awkward/stalkerish note I dreamed we were thrift shopping together last night, it was awesome!-

xo

(I'm a new follower of your blog by the way, I found you through my aunt Coosjes (Helder) facebook page.)

myedit said...

gleeps- whoops, should have mentioned it. It was $15. Totally reasonable for Sonia Rykeil:)

Anonymous said...

I thought I had a great week thrifting, until I saw these two dresses. Holy mama, both of them are a.maze.balls. Gorgeous!

nicola said...

Holy hannah nice work! I scored a mint condition 1950's blue & tan plaid tweed jacket with MEGA rabbit fur collar on 1/2 price day. The fact that I'm a size 18 and it fits me perfectly is the kicker. <3!

Leah said...

Beautiful!

Amanda said...

Ah, what great finds! the Sonia Rykiel was indeed a score. The beaded dress is pretty much exactly what I've been hoping to thrift for my SIL's wedding this spring, but setting out to thrift such a specific item is asking for disappointment, IMO :)

Random: I am terrible at those captcha things. This makes me wonder... Am I a bot? :D

Chilel Aissitou said...

I was sold at the scalopped beading.
.such a lucky girl u r to find these jewels.

jentine said...

Nicola- I neeeeed a picture of that jacket. It sounds magical.

Lucy said...

Wow, both of those dresses look amazing! I found a nice little LBD (that classic halter-ruched version the bombshells made famous) at the thrift this week, but nothing as special as those beauties. Nice work!

Secondhand Stella said...

Both are such great finds. Lucky you!!!

Unknown said...

your dress looks amazing...
Android Developer

Unknown said...

amazing dress
Android Developer

Anonymous said...

I don't think there is one person in my town who earns enough to be able to buy one of those dresses. And if one person did, by some miracle, acquire one of those dresses, I very much doubt it would ever end up in a thrift store.

I have to concede that large population area = better quantity and quality of thrift items to pick from. However, I am not willing to go back to the Big City so I'll have to struggle along with my choices in a semi-rural, poverty stricken but beautiful area.

I look forward to seeing you wearing your great finds.