The Edit Blog Love Sponsor Thrift Image Map

2013-07-19

Where Blogging Meets Thrifting

secondhand
(Posing in my favourite hand-me-down night shirt, with my favourite stuffed animals and my favourite poster. Basically this would have been my FB profile pic if FB was around back then. Thankfully, it was not...)

I grew up with second-hand everything... especially clothes. Hand-me downs from my older brothers (there was a definite lack of ruffles and pink in my childhood) upgraded into hand-me downs from an older girl at church. Growing up we went garage saling (it's a verb, trust...) every Saturday and would hit up all the bags sales at local thrift shops. Thrifting became cool when I was in high school, so I obviously went because I also wanted to become cool, and now here we are, a few short years past high school (liar!) with a blog and a closet that is probably 66% thrift. Still working on becoming cool.
It's pretty obvious I love thrifting and that's why I am so excited to be partnering with Savers and hosting a thrift work shop in Austin, TX next month with TxSC!!!! I know, Texas in August... I am sweating already. I would like to think this heat wave we are having is prepping me to go to Texas...
To be honest, I mostly go to TxSC for the sheer fun of it. There is lots to learn, and tons of chances to network but I like going to meet up with my friends of the Internet and to meet new friends of the Internet. Meeting up in an awesome city isn't too shabby either. That said, I love that TxSC is open to all kinds of different ideas and dedicated to hosting it a unique conference. I am tickled pink to I have a chance to share about thrifting. I am probably never going to host a conference workshop on boosting SEO but thrifting? That, I can talk about for ages...
Not that I have ages to talk. I'm going to have to cram as much knowledge as possible into a short time span to allow for plenty of time to actually thrift in a giant Savers! I hope to talk about customizing your own thrift route, seeking quality (predictable...), cleaning your finds and how a few simple alterations can have you seeing potential everywhere. If you are going and have any suggestions or questions, I am totally open to hearing them... I will try to contain my side tangents to pack optimal thrift knowledge into the time slot.


Blogging is a crazy ride and it has changed so much in the last 4 years. I think it used to be just a place to share online but now it (and its corresponding social media channels) is a legitimate business. That transition has always been a little shaky for me. That's probably a whole blog post on its own... But when I feel a little lost or out of place in the current fashion blogging landscape, I always return back to what I love blogging about the most; thrifting. I don't know what the future holds, but I know it includes thrift stores;) And I am excited I get a chance to share more about my passion at TxSC next month. Thanks Savers and TxSC!!! I'll see you soon! I'll be the girl hugging the air conditioner!!!

9 comments :

his_girl_friday said...

I love your blog, and those chicks in your workshop are going to be lucky! Also: Garage sale-ing is totally a verb.

DressUpNotDown said...

Too bad TxSC wasn't this week...we actually had mild weather with rain *gasp*! :o)

www.dressupnotdown.blogspot.com

Unknown said...

Congrats on being a speaker! That's pretty awesome. Wish I had the mollah to head down to Austin. Someday, Laura, someday! If anyone films your talk make sure you hook us up with a link! :)

xoxo,
Laura
http://lauraisthriftingthroughlife.blogspot.com/

Leah said...

I also grew up with hand me downs and thrifted clothes, but was always embarrassed about it. I love that I can now embrace the savings and have a unique wardrobe because of thrift stores. Enjoy your time in Texas!

Van Nguyen said...

I like your writing. It's so funny and easy to read (flows well).

Anonymous said...

Thrifting is the new cool. You're cooler than you think.

Joanne M said...

Man, I am so jealous that I can't make it to TxSC this year:( I would love to get more tips on thrifting this year to add to those you shared last year;) Have fun!!

xo, Joanne

Rachel H said...

Take me with you. :)

kballare said...

Wow! I'm so excited that you're coming to Austin! Your blog is a big reason that I've become an almost exclusive thirft shopper. Saver's is a favorite thrift store of mine here, and there are tons of other great thrift and consignment stores in Austin so enjoy! Looking forward to your posts while you're in town. -Kim