The Edit Blog Love Sponsor Thrift Image Map

2012-11-07

Cat Tales

red6
red4
red2
red3
red7

Jacket? Thrifted Overcoat? Thrifted Jeans? h&m Boots? c/o Aldo (here or brown here)
Hat? F21 (very similar here)

I took these pictures in my backyard. What scenery, right? As I was setting up the tripod, I saw our tenants' cat streak across the backyard and under the fence. I know that cat is not supposed to be outside at all, so I go off in hot pursuit, yelling his name and then changing my tune to coax him back with sweet nothings.

It's the first time in a  month that I've felt like a crazy cat lady. Since Stella died, life has gotten very quiet. Having three cats is a lot. I remember Matt running up the stairs every night to feed the cats, looking like the Pied Piper of felines, tripping all over the cats weaving through his legs. I think I sometimes revelled in that crazy. Having only two cats just seems so reasonable and... normal. Especially since our one cat is calm and ancient and the other cat is... just lazy. It makes me realize that it was Stella who brought a lot of zaniness to our house. He was just way too smart, he was into everything and constantly getting into trouble. But he was so cute, funny and fluffy that I would forgive him in a second.
When we started letting Stella outside, because it was a battle we couldn't win any more, I would call for him every half hour to make sure he stuck around in the back area. I think this is described as hovering. Every time I called him off the back porch, I would use a different voice. Hey, if you are going to be a hovering cat mama, you might as well own it...
And that's why yesterday, as I tried to get the cat back through the fence with sweet cat coaxing, I suddenly felt like a happy, crazy cat lady again.

I felt especially crazy when I discovered the tenants' cat safely inside. I was chasing some random cat around my backyard. 

21 comments :

Secondhand Stella said...

I have been trying to steal my neighbor's cat. Crazy cat ladies unite!

I love your jacket!

Emily said...

i laughed out loud at the last sentence. a tear may have escaped too.

Leah said...

ahha oh dear. thank you for making me laugh on this crappy day, you crazy cat lady.

Jessie said...

That jacket is amaaaazing! Do you know anything about its provenance? Can you (please) post a close-up of the fabric?

Sue @ A Colourful Canvas said...

Okay, clothes first. I want, I need, I must have that red jacket! Love it. Now, cats! I was a 3 cat family for years, about 18 golden years. When Magic crossed last year, I made the sensible decision to be content with two. And Yen, you said it so perfectly. Yes, two is normal, but the dynamics of a three cat household is magic!

Cheers, Sue

Le living and co. said...

hehe I love how the story finished :p
ps. Nice hat!

Kastles said...

haha well at least you are a stylish cat lady :)
That jacket is amazing! So good! And that hat is awesome too!
<3 Kastles

Kastles said...

haha well at least you are a stylish cat lady :)
That jacket is amazing! So good! And that hat is awesome too!
<3 Kastles

Jennifer said...

Maybe crazy, but definitely a caring cat lady :p

xo Jennifer

http://seekingstyleblog.wordpress.com

Larissa @ Living in Color | A Lifestyle Blog said...

This outfit is darling! :) thanks for sharing!
xo, elle from Living in Color.

Unknown said...

First, I love your jacket, it looks great on you.
Second, I totally LOL'ed at "I was chasing some random cat..."

I love your blog XD

Jess said...

Too funny! Your blazer was such a fantastic find - I love it!

Jess - J's Style
fancypants514.blogspot.com

fashioningmylife said...

Very nice jacket

Anonymous said...

Great story! It seems most fashion bloggers like cats. Yay! Or, meow!

I love your blazer and your boots - fabulous!

Anonymous said...

I adore this outfit. Love the red blazer!

Rose B.

gleeps said...

You look so fab! What brand is the jacket? The fabric looks Guatamalan. Did you thrift it just recently?

myedit said...

Jessie- Ugh... I tried to get a close-up but the lighting was awful. I'll either feature the jacket or have to rewear it soon;)
gleeps- yup! Newly thrifted. No tags as far as I can see...

Betsy said...

This post was making me so sad, and then I saw the last sentence haha

www.suspironews.blogspot.com

rose said...

you wear crazy cat lady and this lovely jacket well!

have you seen this video?

If you haven't you need to, it's made for you!

Linda said...

I'll echo everyone's sentiments about your jacket-- JEALOUS!

I think you're the best crazy cat lady. At lease you're not the crazy dog lady that renames all the neighbors' cats as characters from Lord of the Rings. There's that white cat Shadowfax again...

Rebecca Jane said...

That printed jacket is amazing! I am consistently flabbergasted at your ability to thrift amazing pieces.