The Edit Blog Love Sponsor Thrift Image Map

2012-06-05

Run, Run

Two months ago my sisters-in-law asked me to run a 5k with them. I quickly said yes before I could think about it and say no.
The last time I ever ran a race was in Grade 10. Back then I was part of the track and field team. Not because I was particularly interested in sports but because I was particularly interested in full days off school for track meets and cute boys from other teams. I didn't train hard nor was I co-ordinated, but I was athletic enough to do alright (just alright...not more) at most track and field events with little effort.

run1
(The long jump in 1999 (?). Another mediocre track and field event for me)

In Grade 10 I signed up for the 1500m. race. I sometimes ran to catch the school bus, so I would be fine, right? I should have known it wasn't going to go well when I lined up at the start line and noticed that all the other girls were tiny and their shorts were even tinier. These girls looked serious...
It only took one lap around the track for me to be that straggler way behind everyone else... I was mortified. I didn't expect to win but I also wasn't expecting to be so thoroughly humbled. And so I did that only thing I could think of to save face; I gave into an asthma attack and I quit.
My coach called me out on my childish act and told me I faked an asthma attack. I was indignant. I would never give up unless I had a good reason, I was not a quitter. Looking back now, with truth and a bit of maturity, I can fully admit that I quit because I was so embarrassed at being last. Running the 5k with my sisters-in-law was a chance to prove to myself that I was not a quitter... anymore.

run2
(Pink shoes make running more fun. Trust me.)

When I started training, I didn't expect to like running. I thought I would just deal with it. Lo and behold, after getting over the pain of being unable to climb the stairs for the first week, I grew to love my evening runs. It seems when my legs are running, my brain temporarily stops running. With my obnoxious music blaring in my ears, I am strangely at peace.
And even though I told myself I was running the race just for fun, I googled my run times and I was pleased to see that I was doing well. Those girls in high school were right, the shorter the shorts, the faster the pace... On race day, I ended up placing 4th in my age group and running it in just under 25 minutes. 
I know a 5k is kinda like child's play for all those wonderful crazies (who I love dearly) who run marathons and half-marathons... But that 5k got me hooked. My next goal is to run a 10k race or I to finish a 5k in under 22 minutes... unless a sneaky fake asthma attack gets me first...

run3
(J. Biebs in my ear...)

32 comments :

Suzie Salmon said...

I'm one of the half marathon crazies :) I love running...when life falls apart, it helps me to stay together. Obnoxious music makes it even better. I'm not fast, and I don't race to win...I race to train so I can train for racing (if that makes sense).

Keep running girl :)

Natasha Fatah said...

Good for you!
xoxo
~Natasha Fatah~
~Natasha Fatah~

amanda said...

woot woot!!!!!!!!!! i am SO proud of you!!! i know, dude, once you get the running bug it's over. runner for life :) and your time was unbelievable. musta been the j. biebs.

LA SOURCE DU JOUR said...

Good Job!!!

Check out WWW.LASOURCEDUJOUR.COM.AU

Xx

Anonymous said...

I'm VERY impressed. Go you!!! I ran my first 5k in September 2009 and haven't stopped since. My flaw: haven't increased the distance at all. Need to follow your lead and aim for a 10k soon!

heel_aholic said...

It seems when my legs are running, my brain temporarily stops running. With my obnoxious music blaring in my ears, I am strangely at peace.

You nailed it. My boyfriend doesn't get why I can't just walk the dogs for exercise, why I feel the need to run. I guess you have to get that runners high to understand it.

Kristen said...

How dare you look that cute running - with the perfect S-curve ponytail and whatnot. Makes me wanna wheeze ;)

Bri said...

Bravo on such a goal, and for setting more for yourself in the future! I was a runner growing up and definitely don't get out as much as I would like as an adult, but I should!

Life etc... said...

Wow go you! Hey don't make light of 5km - that's awesome! Haha and I accidentally got signed up for the 1500m once when I was in school too...didn't end well either... ;)

Life Etc

Tara said...

I used to dread the old 10 minute runs in school but I've now been a runner for 4 years and adore it. run=happy
well done!

Greetings from Texas! said...

Keep rocking J. Biebs when you run. You'll get your time down for sure!

Jen said...

Nice work on the sub-25 minute race!! While I love the concept of "the shorter the shorts, the faster the pace," how do you avoid the dreaded shorts creep? My form is good until I have to start an awkward dance to yank my shorts back to where they belong!

Erica said...

You, girl, are my hero. I really need to get off my lazy butt and start running again. I used to love running, but it seems once you get out of it (and out of shape) it's so much harder to go back to it. I guess I just need to start now...or later since its raining right now...omg, here come the excuses...lol :)

Anonymous said...

This post made me laugh more than any of your others. LOVE the 10th grade pic. What was your mascot? The Guidos? Congrats on your 'win'!

Be careful with cranking the tunes, you're invincible now, but you don't get your hearing back when you blow the fibers in your ears.

Michelle_J said...

Excellent! I'm happy to see you are a runner, too. :)

Van Nguyen said...

That's an awesome time! Better than my first and only time, 45 mins.

Stella said...

Holy crap! Under 25, that's amazing! That's my next goal. Glad to have you in the runner's club now! :D

(I did my second 10k this last April. When I came across the finish line, I cried. True story!)

GFS said...

I'm so impressed! Per usual!

Elaine said...

LOVE this post. YOU GO GIRL.

archives vintage said...

i'll be honest, i have tried and tried and TRIED to love, nay - even LIKE running...but i just CAN'T.

major props!!!

Jennifer said...

Congrats on running again! Sometimes it can really be great if you learn to enjoy it (mentally).

xo Jennifer

http://seekingstyleblog.wordpress.com

jentine said...

Jen- Um... I run at night, so when the shorts creep, I just hope it is dark enough to not see anything.haha...
anon- Eek! I know... my poor ears! I am so careful at work with ear plugs all the time but when I run is the only time I have music (car radio stolen..:() so I crank it out...;/ Foolish youth...

Unknown said...

How awesome is that!! You look lovely and raise a toast. Coming 4th is a serious thing!!

Sweet Laundry said...

Yay! Congratulations! I hate running. I really do. But I force myself to do it because I think it's a good way to exercise. I'll probably never run a half or full marathon but you should consider it. You're fast. You should run the Sporting Life 10k next year - it's all downhill and the easiest of all the 10ks. Go for it!!!

Babes in Thriftland said...

See... I trained for a 5k and ran it in 39 minutes. So, you can be doubly proud. However, I'm not athletic at all so maybe that's part of it :)

Unknown said...

Good for you, very inspiring!! I like your pink running shorts!! http://www.natalyascloset.com/

Anonymous said...

Congrats! I all the best in achieving your goals!


xoxo
Paula
http://blush-paula.blogspot.ca/

Lovers, Saints & Sailors said...

Hey nice work! I'm looking to do a 5K soon but I'm totally freaked out. I was never particularly athletic at school (who am I kidding, I was the exact opposite). But I've started training and love it. So...who knows!

Unknown said...

That is an amazing time! Way to go! I really need to get myself back into running in a major way...a year ago yesterday I decided to train for a half-marathon, but ever since I ran the half, I've been a lazy daisy. Time to get back into it for sure! And pink shoes totally make you run faster. Totally.

Juanette said...

That's awesome, Jentine! How long did you train before the race? I'm considering running a 5k, I've been working out regularly so I'm feeling a lot stronger and more powerful. I think I can do it! (Famous last words??)

jenloveskev said...

Yay!!! Congrats. I loved seeing the pictures popping up on instagram. So proud of you. Any distance is an accomplishment. Beware races become addicting, but I guess there could be worse things to be addicted to...

compradora anonima said...

congrts !!!
i wish i could run