The Edit Blog Love Sponsor Thrift Image Map

2012-03-20

The Long and Short of It

maxi5
maxi1
maxi4
maxi2
Dress? Lida Baday, thrifted (similar skirt here) Sweater? J. Crew Factory (here) Shirt? Gap, swapped 
Shoes? Sigerson Morrison, thrifted (similar here) Purse, belt and wood necklaces? Thrifted 
Neon necklace? h&m Roots? Terrible

The story behind these outfit pictures started with some alterations. The truth is I hate doing alterations on clothing. I'll do some for myself but I have gotten much better at saying 'Ummm... no... I don't want to hem your pants. I would rather scoop kitty litter for an hour.' But there is one sweet lady I can't say no to... and that is how I ended up with two of her skirts in my fix-it pile and an apple pie as thank-you. Matt was particularly excited about this pie because for me to buy baked goods is rare and for me to bake is even more rare.
Sadly, when this delicious pie came out of the oven, I acted like a blogger and tried to instagram a picture of it immediately. That was the moment I dropped the pie all over our kitchen floor. I felt horrible (rightly so...) when Matt pointed out that I ruined a pie because I wanted a picture that badly. The lesson to learn is that you need to live your life to eat your pie, not live your life to photograph your pie.
But enough about learning and lessons... I had to go get a replacement pie! The pre-made stuff from the grocery store wouldn't cut it and so I went to a local bakery to try and make amends. I bought a new pie and some cider donuts. I took a chance and showed up with those donuts at my brother's place nearby to ask him to take pictures of my outfit. Because he loves me and because I came bearing baked goods, he agreed to take my pictures.  You need to take your opportunities as they present themselves, even if they are quite unexpected...
And that is how this outfit post is brought to you by wasted apple pie and bartered cider donuts.

10 comments :

Jenny @ House Full of Pretty said...

That story was hilarious! But love the lesson -- So true!!

Hannah Thomas said...

Funniest story about alterations I've ever heard! Coming to think of it, I never have heard any funny stories about alterations.. :)

Love your blog!

D said...

That is a tragic pie story! But cider donuts do sound amazing. So yay, happy ending! I love your dress.

Anonymous said...

Oh that's a sad story about the pie! But good news? that outfit! love the stripes over stripes, you look stunning in that close up pic of yours!

Cess O. <3 The Outfit Diaries

Unknown said...

I love your stories! Thats a gorgeous bag and you look lovely!

Sweet Laundry said...

This story reminds me of a time back in the day when I commented on someone's blog and my comment got torn apart by other bloggers. Not for good reason in my opinion, but it really bothered me and I was so worked up about it. Sometimes blogging can do that to you. It becomes all consuming to the point that all you care about is defending yourself...or photographing a pie. Thank goodness for the Matts of the world to put things into perspective :)

Kimmielovesparis said...

Thank you for that post...you made me laugh in a "I can totally relate" way.

You turned it all around and a good thing came out of spilled milk...I mean pie and all is right with the world.

Elissa said...

Just wanted you to know that I'm headed for H&M tonight for the specific reason of looking for that neon necklace. My jealousy has forced me to venture to the mall, which is kind of a big deal because I seriously hate the mall. Let's hope it's worth it.

Kristin Wyly said...

lesson learned- Always pay in donuts.

Kristin Wyly

www.wehatenikeshorts.blogspot.com

Jennifer said...

Loving the striped maxi skirt!

xo Jennifer

http://seekingstyleblog.wordpress.com