The Edit Blog Love Sponsor Thrift Image Map

2009-03-24

Disappointed


So, I'll tell you a story of a lovely little jewelry store in Hamilton called Essentia. It was walking distance from my house and had a great mix of accessories and collections from local designers. There are really unique pieces at very decent prices and they often have 50% savings on featured designers. I did my part, I bought quite a bit of interesting stuff (including the freshwater pearl and silk flower necklace above) and I also brought many friends along to check it out. Alas, they did not do their part. Very limited advertising (if any?) and a sales girl who was nice but unenthusiastic. It went out of business last fall. I profited from the final sales but I would rather have paid full price and kept a good business in my area. I am their target customer, I spend money foolishly and I like shiny things... Why did I have to find their store by chance? They should have found me...

There is a boutique on Locke Street that I fear may face the same fate as Essentia. It's Boutique Olivia and it carries a well-chosen selection from labels like Paige Premium Denim and Ella Moss. It's been around since May 2008 but I never noticed it until the fall, even though I drive by it many times a week. It's set back from the road a bit and has smaller display windows but they could make up for it with a bigger road sign and maybe with a logo that's not a yawn. Go out on a friggen limb... have pretty models hand out popsicles on a hot summer day... well, maybe they should hand out drumsticks, they are more upscale.

Anyways, what is the point of this rant? Hmmmm... support local efforts and if you are a local effort, put some effort and money into reaching your markets (3 efforts in one sentence). I am not trying to be a know-it-all, I just don't want to lose anymore good stores in Hamilton, especially when the pickings are already slim.

1 comment :

Unknown said...

Jorg Hysek has been spending a lot of time coming up rolex replica sale with designs - something he does best - and we'd like to share some of his concept luxury smartwatches replica watches sale with you. I also took the time to meet with Jorg and discuss his thoughts about how the Swiss watch industry can play nice with rolex replica sale smartwatch makers. These designs are really cool and we simply want them to be real sooner than later. Jorg was able to add a real emotional connection and sense of coolness rolex replica sale to what, in many instances, are lacking designs in the smartwatch world. So here's what Jorg had to say, and let's hope some of these concepts replica watches sale will become a reality before long. Did you replica watches sale know that there are valuable benefits to buying watches at authorized dealers and brand boutiques that aren't replica watches uk typically advertised, and that you very well might not know about?