The Edit Blog Love Sponsor Thrift Image Map

2010-07-11

Water Baby

When I started this blog, I would never have imagined that I would be doing this post. No, surprisingly, I have not been chosen to be part of a national F21 campaign. It's much more exciting than that.... it's a bathing suit post.


shock2

shock3


Bathing suit?
Beachlife, Winners
Hat? Thrifted
Sunglasses? Vintage Steffi Graf, gifted

OK, hardly scandalous. In fact, I would think this bathing suit is quite demure, and that was the appeal of it. I did the math (because I'm all about effort like that) and I haven't worn a one piece bathing suit since 1996. In Grade 8 my mom let me get a two-piece (I say two-piece, not bikini because it was pretty much shorts and a sports bra) and that was a huge deal. I grew up in a pretty conservative family, so getting a two-piece was as exciting as being allowed to stay out until 9 p.m..

I never thought I would want a one-piece again but a few years back some vintage-inspired suits came out and I was intrigued by the glamour. But since the last time I had worn a one-piece, I had probably grown 8 inches taller and so now, nothing fit. Either I couldn't get the straps over my shoulders or the bathing suit was... well, all up in my grill (I'm trying to be polite). I saw this suit at Winners with European sizing and I thought maybe it would fit because I know some tall Europeans... Clearly, with my wild hypothesizing, I shouldn't be a scientist but the bathing suit did fit. And it's kinda perfect, with flattering stripes that go in a v at the bust and are vertical below the waist. Oh ya, and some waist cinching action with a sweet belt. Best of all, the European tag said 100 Euros but the Winners tag said $24.99.

I felt quite glamourous lounging at Sauble Beach, surrounded by Corona bikinis and tiny undone denim cut-offs. Somebody fetch me a beverage, I'm a lady dammit...

shock1

25 comments :

T said...

Hahahaha - those first two lines!

That suit is really adorable. Great set of pics.

Emily Kennedy said...

What fun! I'm happy you're getting some sun. It rained here all day. Why is Kansas robbing me of my summer?

Someone should get you a drink damnit. The Holland game is about to start. I mean, 45 minutes is relatively soon.

Haven said...

I love it. Vintage and vintage-inspired one pieces are the best. It's definitely more stylish than a corona bikini. >.O

KDot said...

I feel your pain about the one piece bathing suit fitting issue. I would love to wear a one piece but I'm 5'10" and all my length is in my torso. You described the problems I find when I go one piece suit shopping perfectly! I'm glad you found a suit that fits.

Unknown said...

Love it! It looks so great on you - and what an awesome find! $24.99 for a bathing suit = totally amazing!

Small Time Style

liz said...

So ladylike and glamourous! I love how you're wearing the hat and shades while in the water! Doesn't get classier than that :)

cocojones said...

that's a very chic beach look! really different and elegant, LOVE the hat!

Olivia said...

Love it. Chic, grown up and classic. And a funny post to boot. What more is there in life?

Emma at Daily Clothes Fix said...

Great swimsuit. I have one eye on your blog and one eye on the World Cup. I'm cheering for Holland because of you (although they need to calm down on the fouls).

Secondhand Stella said...

I love that suit. So cute!!!!

Tiffany said...

so all I saw at first was "baby" in the title and then the "i never thought..." on the first line and I thought you had joined the ranks as yet another blogger with child. Glad it was a bathing suit post instead (and a cute suit, indeed!!)
PS,
Your man is brave to carry the camera into the water (or you're brave to let him...)

Nadine said...

LOVE those photos! Now THAT is how a swimsuit photoshoot is done.

Lovers, Saints & Sailors said...

And what a lady. Good on you!

Eyeliah said...

It's a gorgeous suit, it's good you felt comfortable to post it!!

Alessandra said...

Water Lady! Stylish at the beach is not an easy task...you really pulled it off.

GS said...

But the real question is, can you cliff jump in it?!
The belt says yes!

I like this style of swimsuit alot. Much better than 'Bud' and 'Weiser' gracing the girls and the bum.

Winners needs to start paying you. No joke. Or at least thank you with a gift card or seven.

Lauren said...

That bathing suit is gorgeous! And you make it even more so!

Nicki said...

I really enjoyed this post, believe it or not this is the first bathing suit post I've seen on the blogs I read, so kudos! And I'm really digging the retro bathing suit trend lately, way more classy (and flattering!) than teeny tiny bikinis.

joelle van dyne said...

i love this swimsuit! it looks great on you. and with the hat and sunglasses it is totally a movie star glam look. i've been gravitating to 1-piece suits lately too. ~joelle

Anonymous said...

Both of your last posts have been so beautiful, simple, classic, and inspiring. I NEED a suit like this (for super extra short people, though). :)

<3 kp

Don't forget to enter my Ruffled Tank giveaway!
http://fashionmommaintraining.blogspot.com/2010/07/ruffle-top-giveaway-from-mjcreations.html

Jessica Miranda said...

classic, simple and beautiful!

rlutz said...

you look amazing in that bathing suit.

Laura said...

I love your bathing suit it's so cute!!! I wish I could find a one piece that's that nice.

KT said...

I love this swimsuit! Totally classic looking. Lovely.
http://modlychic.blogspot.com/

Ava said...

It's great to see such a classy beach look in a world full of Corona bikinis and denim cut offs! Thank you for the inspiration! :)
www.avasdoodles.blogspot.com