The Edit Blog Love Sponsor Thrift Image Map

2014-07-25

Polka Dotted

polka6
polka3
polka4
polka1
polka8
polka5
Dress? Vintage (similar in a new style here or here) Crinolin? get it here Pumps? Ralph Lauren 
Belt? Vintage Clutch? Vintage (similar on Etsy here)

This is a happy dress. I put a crinolin underneath (this is like the one I have) and that made the dress even happier. 
I wore these polka dots first to do a morning show segment on Morning Live about how to incorporate a little vintage into your wedding (it's here... sidenote, I really actually love doing these live segments even though I can't sleep very well the night before. Ha. Watching it back I wish I could have pointed at the items more directly but the whole display was jerry-rigged into place with a level and a piece of anti-slip (thank-you Matt...) and I was scared to touch anything in case I knocked the whole thing over. Though... that could have been funny.).
I also wore the dress to visit my Dad for his birthday. He's not really noticing these kind of details any more but I know if he wasn't sick, he would have just thought this dress was top notch. Things are so different now  in that whole situation but sometimes you just pretend everything is normal and put on a polka dot dress and eat cake. 
This dress is also a perfect match for the polka dots I have going on in my shop window right now. I'm trying to write an honest and balanced post about this retail journey I started last November and true to form it's taking me forever (pretty sure it took me less time to open the shop than to write about the shop...) but I can probably sum up the post now by saying that retail is awesome and terrible and exciting and very, very humbling. But one of my very favourite things to do, and where I like to direct my energy into when I can feel myself getting negative, is the window displays. I'm pretty sure I spend too much money on all the stupid things I put in there but it's fun for me and fun for people who pass by. Even if I am having the crappiest week I still want to project energy and enthusiasm from the shop. It's hard not to smile at polka dot lanterns in a shop window and it's hard not to smile when you are wearing a crinoline. Those are the facts of life. 

12 comments :

Belle de Couture said...

You are too cute for words in this get-up! LOVE a good polka dot number and this one looks amazing on you! Love the crinoline, really makes me want one for my dresses and skirts. That belt is really awesome!

xx
Jen

http://belledecouture.com

Kirsten said...

Keep up the good work on the window displays as I definitely will poke my head into a shop based on the window displays. I bet they look fantastic!

Bonnie said...

Wow, you're tall! And a deep voice, who knew? Obviously, enjoyed seeing your video. I have a cousin moving to Ottawa, I'm sending her the link to your blog!

Coosje said...

Beautiful, Jen! I love the accessories you've chosen to go with it, and agreed, the crinoline takes it up a notch! Glad you visited your Dad with it. You still need to be entirely you for him and dressing intentionally is part of that!

Miranda said...

The crinoline makes it! I love, love seeing your windows. Whatever you put in there you manage to brighten the whole street!

Jenna Leigh said...

absolutely gorgeous!

http://abeautifulheart07.blogspot.com/

Unknown said...

Love love love this dress. The extras-crinoline, belt and clutch-really take it up a notch. It's touching to read how you still dress up for your dad. You sound like a truly caring daughter!

What Lou Wore 365 said...

Gorgeous. That's all my words for this. Your hair looks fantastic like this as well, adds a bit of edge to the sweet dotty dress.

Unknown said...

Love polka dots! That dress is gorgeous!

Cleaning services Croydon

Unknown said...

I love the dress, very classy and back to the 50'... <3<3<3

http://luxuryready2wear.eu/

Unknown said...

ninest123 16.03
cheap oakley sunglasses, tiffany jewelry, ugg boots, michael kors outlet, ray ban sunglasses, louis vuitton, oakley sunglasses, ray ban sunglasses, polo ralph lauren outlet, tory burch outlet, oakley sunglasses, jordan shoes, longchamp, louboutin, louis vuitton, louis vuitton, burberry, ugg boots, louboutin outlet, michael kors outlet, michael kors, prada outlet, oakley sunglasses, replica watches, michael kors outlet, nike outlet, tiffany and co, prada handbags, ray ban sunglasses, louboutin shoes, nike air max, louis vuitton outlet, ugg boots, christian louboutin outlet, longchamp outlet, michael kors outlet, burberry outlet online, ugg boots, louis vuitton outlet, uggs on sale, oakley sunglasses, polo ralph lauren outlet, replica watches, chanel handbags, gucci outlet, nike free, michael kors outlet, longchamp outlet, nike air max

Unknown said...

hollister, moncler, barbour, coach outlet, pandora charms, moncler, moncler outlet, moncler, ugg boots uk, wedding dresses, sac louis vuitton pas cher, canada goose, moncler, ray ban, ugg,uggs,uggs canada, links of london, louis vuitton, doudoune canada goose, converse, canada goose, pandora charms, swarovski, karen millen, canada goose outlet, replica watches, thomas sabo, pandora jewelry, swarovski crystal, barbour jackets, bottes ugg, pandora jewelry, canada goose, vans, montre pas cher, converse outlet, louis vuitton, juicy couture outlet, canada goose uk, juicy couture outlet, moncler, marc jacobs, gucci, canada goose, moncler, louis vuitton, canada goose outlet, supra shoes, ugg,ugg australia,ugg italia, louis vuitton, moncler, toms shoes, lancel, ugg pas cher
ninest123 16.03